The Top 10 Hunting Dogs
We love dogs—as pets and certainly as hunting partners for many. Different breeds of dogs can serve as excellent hunting partners, but depending on the type of game you are looking for. The following are 10 of the best hunting dogs.
1. Labrador Retriever: Just as the name states. Retriever dogs make excellent hunting partners, and a Labrador may just be the “ultimate” hunting dog. With immense energy, coating suited for outdoors and the will to make great lengths to retrieve a kill, a Labrador Retriever is unmatched at hunting ducks, but can also be helpful in chasing down any type of small prey.
2. American Foxhound: This dog is typically bred for fox hunting, and still remains up to the task. Deer hunters have also resorted to the dog for its excellent running skills during the deer season. But the American Foxhound is a great hunting dog because it will chase any game you tell it to.
3. Beagle: Ideally the most “iconic” hunting partner, the Beagle is shares the same energy, love of chase and persistence as the American Foxhound. Its shorter legs however handicap it to hunting larger game, but if you are on the hunt for varmint like buck and rabbit, the Beagle will suit the task.
4. Pointer: Thin coat on the Pointer disqualifies it from being effective at hunting large game in the snowy north, but in the southern parts of the U.S. where temperatures are always warm, the Pointer makes the perfect companion to hunting birds over large fields.
5. Bloodhound: The name makes this breed sound seem like a ruthless hunter, and you’ll be correct to suppose so. Their unequaled tracking abilities and strong noses make them the perfect hunting dogs.
6. Golden Retriever: Normally regarded the typical family dog, the Golden Retriever just like its Labrador cousin is also an excellent hunting companion for small game. The breed is an ideal household pet for kids to play with and also makes a double as a hunting partner for parents.
7. Chesapeake Bay Retriever: Like its fellow Retriever counterpart, this breed is ideal for hunting ducks on the shores of Chesapeake Bay. It is an intelligent, water loving and energetic dog with enough energy to charge throughout a day of hunting.
8. Weimaraner: Elegant looking and unique in nature and lengthy legs which make it appear awkward at first sight, Weimaraner are fast and calm dogs, that are perfect for hunting quail, pheasant and other bird species.
9. Coonhound: Do you have a raccoon problem? These dogs with their sharp noses will hunt their namesakes and help you rid them for good.
10. Irish Setter: If the Pointer is perfectly suited for hunting quail in the southern parts, then the Irish Setter is perfectly suited to hunt turkey in the fall.